Tuesday, April 04, 2006

technology YES!!!

Preludes & Fugues

For the past 18 years I have REFUSED to have a telephone in the Kitchen at my Restaurant, BRENTHOVEN'S. You may ask why? How can you operate a business without a telephone? What if a horrible emergency occurs? ANSWER: There is a telephone in the OFFICE REGISTRATION which is not that far from my kitchen. Three years ago I realized it was becoming more and more of a problem for office help to walk away from the desk and bring me the wireless phone so I purchased a cell phone. MAGIC! There is not a phone hanging on the wall or screeching when we are working and I make all my orders, personal calls and texts from the small black telephone I carry in my pocket!

I could, but do not want to live without my Power Book G4 MAC computer. I do not want to live without my Apple I POD and I have two wonderful keyboards that have made my life as a musician so convenient and I can practice any hour of the day or night without driving anyone crazy with my scales, arpeggios, and repetitions of passages, over and over until I get the patterns secured within my musical brain.

I can only imagine how amazed my grandparents must have been when they used a telephone for the first time and heard a voice from miles away! Air planes, X-rays, cameras, refrigeration, automobiles. To think my first recording was a vynal 78 and we had 45's of two singles pressed! Within 3 years after that cassette recordings were taking over the world of recorded music! NOW DIGITAL technology is overwhelming. I wonder If we will one-day reincarnate any lifetime we desire digitally! (Easy way to operate Karmic justice without going through the birth cannel!)

I have a VODAFONE here in NZ. I call the United States every week. My parents, siblings and any business matter that needs sudden attention I take care of via E mails or Cell PHONE! I very well remember the hand written letters or detached voice delays in over seas long distance calls...and the cost of a LD phone call!

I know the world is "falling apart" BUT because of technology we have access to knowledge and truth like we have never known. We have satellites that take pictures of the earth's evolvement every second. One can argue global warming, the demise of the rain forests and tides, storms, and holes in the ozone till they are blue in the face, THE PROOF is in the pictures and data we record from outer space. The internet is almost beyond my mind's ability to comprehend at times. I can down load music, sheet music and send my music to anyone that wants it!

I like living in 2006 just fine. Wars, famine, rotten politics, bigots, religious dogmas, ignorance have always been around and will probably always be around, but the knowledge one has at their fingertips is a healing balm and gift from minds that paid big prices to make our current lives FABULOUS BABY!

One thing that depresses me is the money and technology spent on weapons of mass destruction and billions spent on air, sea and land transportation so Bush and his crusade can use them to make the world a safer place. If we used all the nuclear sources sitting inside thousands of missile heads to make fission power we would never worry about the loss of oil resources for thousands of years. ALAS! At least I can talk about it on this blog site!

Technology will not kill us, the lack of it and stupidity will. Cherio.

No comments: