Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Helping a friend... with poetry

All of my life when ever I have been slammed up against a wall, my brain and face gasping for air I have been able to reach my arm behind me and grasp a book of poetry... a song in words. Music is my life's way of expression but poetry is music's lover?

A friend of mine is experiencing a time of depression and disappointment, therefore I told her to read some of Mary Oliver's poetry... Possibly she will, more than likely she will not read the poetry so I am posting one of Mary's poems here on my blog...

Mary is a most amazing woman. She never received a degree from The University of Ohio or Vassar College, but she went on to achieve some unbelievable feats in the world of words.

She was born in 1935... She lost her life time partner a few years ago. Mary loved the poetry of Edna St. Vincent Millay. When Mary was a teenager Norma, (Edna's sister and sole survivor) allowed Mary to help file and organize much of Millay's works, letters and Mary was able to live at "Steeple Top", ESVM home for many years, during that time.

I keep a book of her poems on my bedside table. I have oft times read this poem when I am facing a difficult situation...

THE JOURNEY

One day you finally knew
what you had to do, and began,
though the voices around you
kept shouting
their bad advice---
though the whole house
began to tremble
and you felt the old tug
at your ankles.
"mend my life!"
each voice cried.
But you didn't stop.
You knew what you had to do,
though the wind pried
with its stiff fingers
at the very foundations,
though their melancholy
was terrible.
It was already late
enough, and a wild night,
and the road full of fallen
branches and stones.
But Little, by little,
as you left their voices behind,
the stars began to burn
through the sheets of clouds,
and there was a new voice
which you slowly
recognized as your own,
that kept you company
as you strode deeper and deeper
into the world,
determined to do
the only thing you could do---
determined to save
the only life you could save.

Today is Christmas in New Zealand! I wish everyone that has ever or does read this blog a very glorious new year.

I know we are to celebrate the birthday of a King, Christ. I know he died so that we might live... Well I say save your own life the best way you can because you and I are the Christos of our own lives.

Stars do burn through sheets of clouds and there lives a voice which is your very own voice... (the throat chakra!) That voice is your fingerprint that identifies your survival through this illusion!

I wish with all my heart we all find our own voice in the new year.

No comments: