Friday, December 20, 2013

Magic the way we keep in touch.

24 years ago we were introduced to "calling cards" in NZ.  I had never heard of such a thing in the USA.
 In the yearly 90's you simply walked into a convenience store any where in NZ and purchased a card that resembled a Credit Card.  You could buy anywhere from $10.00 to $100.00 worth of minutes to call internationally or locally or within the country.  Walk to a pay phone on the street, insert the card and you were connected...  We thought it was STATE OF THE ARTS TECHNOLOGY!

Years later E mail became my means of contacting people within minutes...  I stopped sending cards, letters except for certain important documents via NZ POSTAL SERVICE...  then the cell phone!  I wish and I should have kept my first cell Vodafone.  A young man at Vodafone a few years ago when I decided to buy a "clam shell type new phone"  said, "OMG!  I want this!"  I told him he could have it.  It worked beautifully but did not have a camera or any of the other bells and whistles that come with phones today.  I had dropped this phone in rivers!  on the sidewalks, left it for days and nights inside my backpack and the damn thing NEVER EVER FELL APART!

Every year at Xmas and my Birthday I purchase a gift or maybe at times more things than what I usually would give myself and then I say:  this is from Mabel, Frederic, Larry, Bobby, Grandma, Aunt so and so... the list is endless.  (these are people I have been deeply involved with years ago who have crossed over to the other side! plus there a million more people I can blame for my purchases.)

TODAY:  NEW CELL PHONE.  It has all those gadgets, and other stuff.  I am quite impressed with it.
I am posting a photo of the ancient land line telephone we use here at the house.  (very up market for the time.)  Then my NEW PHONE:  A Sam sung GT-S6810P  and beside it my Vodafone I have used for the past three years aVodafone LG.

By late this evening I will have the NEW MAGICAL PHONE CHARGED and I inserted my old SIM card so as not to loose numbers and information.  I put the new SIM card into the old Vodafone and it has a new number.  I will give that to Michael  so that when I am away from the property I can call him or he can call me...

My old NZ MOBILE NUMBER IS IN THE NEW PHONE SO THOSE OF YOU THAT CALL ME DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY... I WILL ANSWER and you do not have to enter a new number.  (I do not always answer... but leave a message...)

Rained like hell last night on and off today.  COLD.  The plants are thriving... It is 7:30 PM NZT therefore I am pouring a red and then I will prepare a meal.  THEN possibly read, write or watch a movie.  I still watch DVD'S.  I purchased 8 from Amazon before leaving the states so  I simply insert the disc into my MacBook and it's kinda like being at the movies except I can look and dress the way I am at the moment and munch on anything my tummy desires.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say I do not miss a tv. I have watched everything I wanted to watch on my laptop. Glorious electronic gadgets and doohickies.