Saturday, February 19, 2011

My week away... in the Golden Bay of NZ

Chapter 1

I seem to have a problem with dates and times. I told everyone I was booked to leave on the Wed. 10Th of Feb.
NOT SO. Wed. was wrong... the 10Th was Thurs. Okay, I suffered some embarrassments, but survived.

Michael, Anne and I got up round 7 AM on Thurs. the 10Th and began our drive to CH CH by 10: 30 AM. The morning was 'out of the box' as Kiwi's say. A perfect day.

We all were Chatting away in route to Cromwell. Stopped for coffee and snacks. Continue driving... all is going along like gold... stopped in places and old towns we had not been in for years.

Not too many changes... except we park the car slower, get out of the car slower and stand around pointing at sights. DROVE INTO Christchurch. Mind you, this city endured a horrendous earth quake only a couple of months ago! San Francisco type thing. I had made accommodations at Latimer Square. The Latimer Hotel. OMG, we did not have our very old and battered road map in the car! We found it. Nice room. $150.00 NZD for the night.
That included a breakfast. Got settled in, then drove to the car park near the famous Cathedral and began looking for a place to eat. I spied the HERITAGE. This was originally an old government building that we have observed gradual changes into an amazing place full of pent houses, spas and other botiques and it has an amazing restaurant. I SAID I WILL BUY DINS, we are going there.

Had a fantastic meal. Walked about the square and back to the motel. I had to catch a flight into Nelson mid morning. Not a problem. I had my small suit case, and back pack. Hell, we had lost the map we purchased that morning... I could only remember years past the names of roads that lead to the CHCH International Air Port. Well, we saw a van moving fast with stickers claiming it was and airport van... FOLLOW IT! we did. Then began looking for any roadside signs that had an air plane... made it to the airport we all know... but, the damn place is under major redevelopment. Alas! we drive around and around. Finally parked and discoverd DOMESTIC FLIGHTS.

I had a 50 min. plane ride into Nelson. The Nelson Air Port is very old fashioned. I had a couple of hours before the Able Tasman bus was to pick me up and drive me to Takaka. I had a nice sandwich, read my book, wrote in my journal, even took a light nap... NO BUS NO BUS NO BUS NO BUS... I called the Queenstown Information Center. The damn bus forgot to pick me up at the airport. Well, it cost them tons of money. It was not my fault. The Center said, DON'T MOVE. A TAXI WILL COLLECT YOU IN MINUTES AND DRIVE LIKE HELL TO A PLACE WHERE YOU WILL CONNECT WITH THE BUS... Okay. Sure enough a taxi arrives the driver shouting my name. My original bus ticket was $30.00 it cost the bus lines $122.00 for the Taxi because of their major screw up. We connected.

Rode on the bus to Takaka. When I boarded the bus there were no seats open except for one. A lovely young girl from England patted the seat beside her and said "WELCOME". We chatted away and everything was flowing... then we began the steep ride and narrow curves up the mountains... she lost it and puked like old faithful. I helped her clean up. What an ordeal.
Driving through farms lands, mountains and most of all peaceful valleys finally made it into Takak. There was one of my soul mates Rutha waiting with open arms and her beater truck.

We drove like hell to the Sans Souci Inn where she works as a WOOFER. Sun was beginning to set over the Tasman Sea. I got into my room. (pictures are on the my blog) took a shower, poured a Pino Noir and laid my things out before dinner.

Walked onto the beach at sunset. OMG! From there into the dinning room and had a delicious meal. Roast beef with all the trimmings.... you think there are no trimmings on a perfect roast beef dinner? GO EAT AT SANS SOUCI INN.

Rutha was my Table Attendant. After dins, I walked to my room. She met me and we sat outside on the patio with a candle,
bottle of the most divine wine and talked until the wee hours of the morning. She had my room set up with a plunger for coffee, the most beautiful bar of soap, extra towels, fruit in a bowl from the trees in the garden...

Slept like a baby in heaven... next morning, awoke made my coffee in the French Press, took a shower, had a lovely breakfast, a gentle walk on the beach and then we started the truck for a hike...

LATER.

No comments: