Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Chapter 4

Last day in the Golden Bay was delightful. We walked on the beach, then back to the truck. Drove to a place that serves coffee on a very old dilapidated yacht. I have a picture of me on the boat posted at the bottom of all these chapters.

From there we drove... found a beach and decided to take the fold up chairs, a bottle of wine, walk out onto the beach and allow the tide to wash our feet as we feasted on the wind, sky and most of all music of the ocean.

Drove back to SSI. Instead of a big meal we opted to have left overs and cold things in Rutha's Cottage! Then we watched the movie Sordid Lives... Laughed and nibbled away at cheese, breads, olives, veggies... I went to bed and slept like a rock.

Ah, morning meant get up and out of the room in time for the pick up bus to Nelson. From there the flight into CHCH. Everything went swimmingly smooth. I hailed a cab at the airport in CHCH and had quite a conversation with the driver. He is EGYPTIAN.
He never, ever shut up! Cost me 50 bucks to the YMCA from the air port.

Called Karina and Jimmy. They met up with me and we had a wonderful meal at a restaurant near the Avon, but so nice and quiet. We ate outside on the veranda. From there I went back to the room. Packed, and called the front desk for a wake up call at 7:00 AM... I know better than to trust such details to others.

I awoke in the morning at 7:20 AM there had been no call... I flew like hell, dashed down stairs and turned in my key telling the reception: "YOU NEVER CALLED ME!" she said: "oh, I am so happy you are awake because I called room 507... (my room was 501) and that man was very irate and rude with me!" Well, no shit lady! I explained to her that I did not have time to walk to 123 Worcester St. to catch the coach to QT. She called me a cab. I made it.

The morning was lovely. Cool, gentle sunshine... boarded the bus. FRONT SEAT. Dug out my I Pod. Bud in ears, dark glasses on, feeling good. A long 6 hour drive into QT. but some amazing sights.

We stop in Ashburton. An older woman boards the bus. She asked me IF she could sit beside me as she becomes ill if she sits too fat back in the bus... SURE. Well, one thing leads to another and I KNEW WHO SHE WAS. Devella Gore. A very famous artist from NZ as well as she has quite a vineyard and wedding chapel near Arrowtown. We chatted away. I told her I knew who she was. She was delighted. Years ago, she had heard me in concert in QT. but, she did not relate to anything I was saying... then the penny dropped. She grinned from ear to ear... "You played my piano years ago, and I have your recordings..." from then on we had a fantastic ride together. We know quite a few people in common as well as she is very well known in NZ. Her books have been translated into four languages.

She is a speaker who is forever in demand in NZ. Her sense of humor is a joy. We got talking about her winery... She told me that yes, Central Otago Wines are becoming world famous, especially the Pino's. They have one that is excellent for the kidneys. One is called Pino Gris, the other Pino Noir, the other PEEEEE NO MORE..." God, this went on and on. She was a joy to be with.

Home in QT was a blessing. I do miss my hide-a-way. I even cooked dinner. My adventure is over until another year. Well, that is a lie. Every day of my life is an adventure.

THEN TODAY... one of my favorite cities has been devastated by a disastrous earth quake. Christchurch NZ... In November they endured a horrendous earth quake, but this one killed people. Many people. It is world news.
We are fine here in QT, but sense the pain and loss. It brings back memories of 9/11 in USA.

I am so happy I spent time in CHCH over the many years of coming to NZ. I made my MUSICAL DEBUT at the Great Hall in CHCH. The next morning after the concert the review appeared in the CHCH PRESS... the review hangs on the wall of my restaurant. IT IS A GREAT REVIEW... from a very difficult critic. He writes scathing things about some of the greatest artists, but my review was a pianist's dream...

I have spent hours inside the famous Cathedral which came crashing down today. This city will become another San Francisco... like NYC... a city that endured Atlantis. May peace be with us all and most of all those that are in such pain.

3 comments:

Jared and Linnea Roberts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jared and Linnea Roberts said...

Hello Brent! I was delighted to find your blog and have enjoyed reading your entries. You are so amazing and I miss working with you and learning from you. You have had an incredible impact on my life and I am thankful that I had the opportunity to be in your presence. I am so relieved to know that you are all okay after the earthquake. When I saw the news I immediately thought of you, Michael and Anne. I am also so sorry that you've had to go through so much in the last few years. I did not know that you had to deal with the big scary "C" word and feel terrible that I wasn't able to offer my prayers and support to you during that time. Sorry. I hope to see you soon!

Love,
Linnea

Brenthoven said...

Thank you L. You are one of those angelic people that never ever change... you are pure love. Miss you.