Tuesday, November 14, 2006

boxes full of memories...

Preludes & Fugues

Every year I deep clean my closet. I do not have a lot of clothing. I do have lots of shoes. I have boots, sandals, dress shoes, casual shoes and hiking boots, of all brands and styles. WHAT IS THIS THING WITH SHOES?

The top shelf in my closet has scrap books, two boxes full of correspondence and there is a trunk on the floor full of books that I cannot part with and journals I have kept the past 20 years. I decided to sort through the scrap books and the two boxes of letters and postcards. THANK GOD I DID NOT EVER THROW THESE LETTERS AND PHOTOS AWAY, because I am very good at getting rid of stuff. I've known that I had class photos of my grade school years but have not known where they ended up. Well, I found them inside a dirty plastic bag that was lost in the bottom of one of the boxes of things my mother gave me a few years back when they were cleaning out their basement and moving to a brand new house. I also found my first Piano Achievement Certificate. I was 10 years old. Also a book I had written in 1959 called "The Way Things Go". (Now, my god, that was a creative title and such simple, but fun reading. I had even illustrated the story and bound it in a cardboard loose leaf binder. I read old letters I had written to a woman during the 70's from Europe and Viet Nam! I found photos of people I have not seen in decades and most of them are dead.

After a couple of hours sorting through the boxes I thought, GET RID OF THIS CRAP. IT MEANS NOTHING TO ANYONE AND BESIDES IT IS REALLY SENTIMENTAL AND SOPPY TO SAVE SUCH STUFF. Lo and Behold, I felt an electrical shock spark through my entire body. It was as if I were being taken over by some force from outside my mind. A THOUGHT AS CLEAR AS GLASS BECAME WORDS THAT SPILLED OUT OF MOUTH: "Don't be stupid! These things are the only measuring stick you have as a monument to the life you have experienced the past 60 years!" "One day someone in your family may find a photo of a person they have heard about or your words may comfort or even guide someone along the many
adventures life presents to us." "Now, carefully dust the boxes and the trunk, put everything back as it was and every once in a while open these treasure chests and breathe life into your own past. Relive some of the tragedies and some of glories and possibly learn from them because now you have a 'perspective' you are at a place where you can see all sides of some of these events and above all else these are the things that have made you who you are today."

DON'T THROW YOUR BABY OUT WITH THE BATH WATER PEOPLE! I'm gonna keep my sordid past and maybe, just maybe write it all down one day when I am really old and my space suit is just about worn out! Living in a digital world is fantastic and I will no doubt have some of these old photos restored. Hell, maybe I could have my entire body restored digitally!

No comments: