Monday, October 09, 2006

The purposal, ring & blessing...

Preludes & Fugues

Yesterday will forever be a very special date for the rest of my life. A certain man introduced me to the USO years ago. 1968 to be exact. I traveled the world with him as his accompanist and we made three trips to Veit Nam. He was a fabulous violinist and fine conductor. When he died a few years ago his widow very graciously asked me what if anything of his personal possessions I might want. I immediately blurted out that I would want his carnelian ring with the two small diamonds. This ring has a marvelous history! Well yesterday I was playing piano for this woman and a dear friend of hers. She suddenly walked over to the piano and on bended knee said: ""Brent, will you marry me?" I was stunned! I said, "WHAT IN HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO ANSWER???? OF COURSE I WILL!" Well, with that she handed me a small jewel box. Inside was the ring! Tears sprung to my eyes! I have it on my finger and will die with it on my finger!

I believe that inanimate objects long to be used for what they were designed to be used for. Such as a spoon. If it is a beautiful spoon that simply sits in a drawer and is never used god knows it must suffer! It longs to be dipped into delicious soups and have lips kiss its smooth surface. It needs to be held and moved into creme brulle, ice cream and most of all tasted. Same with musical instruments that just sit unused! Houses simply rot without being lived in!

IF THIS RING COULD TALK IT WOULD HAVE AN ENDLESS TALE TO TELL! It's sub atomic level is full of music, and to think of the millions of hands it has been clasped to in a hand shake, hugs and the comfort it sensed as it rested on the hand of such a gifted man! Thank You Carleen and Thank you Eugene for being a part of my past and present life!

As I so often say: I AM A BLEST MAN!

No comments: