Sunday, November 30, 2014

MY HOUSE SALAD DRESSING RECIPE

Brenthoven's Restaurant has been around for many years.  One can go on line and read reviews etc.  I do not go there!  I am a very superstitious man!  Therefore I avoid the reviews and likes or dislikes!

Over the many years friends have asked for my House Salad Dressing recipe.  I am finally willing to give it out on my blog.

I know many cooks that hoard recipes as if the recipe were something made out of gold and silver!  They refuse to share a recipe with anyone.  I do have one dear chef friend and she will share a recipe IF and only IF you exchange one of your valued recipes for her cherished gem!

Cakes, Breads, Muffins, Cookies are all made from flour.  Yes, Gluten Free need Potato flour, Soy flour, Rice flour... but they begin with FLOUR!

I LOVE MAKING SOUPS!
All soups begin with a BASS NOTE.  (the word soup base is not a stupid word!)  One uses the stock of Beef, Chicken, Pork, Vegetables, Elk, Venison, fruit, and at times what ever is at hand!.

From the Bass note you add a TENOR VOICE!  That can be the MEAT, substance of the desired ingredient within the blend of soup.  Chicken, Beef etc. plus you can add vegetables and other herbs.

Tenor leads to ALTO.  She sings right under the Prima Donna Soprano!  The Alto can be certain herbs, seasonings, wine, fruit juice, fats, sugars, salt, pepper.  The list is endless.  She hold up the magic note of any soup!

ENTER THE SOPRANO!  THE PRIMA DONNA OF ALL NOTES.  Here is the magic.  I will not reveal my touch of the magic wand however, this is the touch that makes the pallet weep for joy!  This one touch brings everything into one harmonic melody of love and peace.

I cannot recall IF I wrote a blog about my closing of the season?  I made 43 GALLONS of PUMPKIN SOUP for customers.  They buy it in gallons then break it down into small amounts and freeze it.   On cold winter nights they can heat it up in a sauce pan or a crock pot.

Salad Dressings are created in the same spirit.  ALWAYS remember ALL RECIPES ARE ALTERATIONS ON ANOTHER RECIPE!

I stole my house dressing from a nice guy I met years ago at the original Nordic Inn.  Dirk Beesley.
He found it in San Francisco years ago.

The dressing is a very old "HIPPIE" dressing.  The story goes that one day someone was making poppy seed dressing and low and be hold there was not any more poppy seeds!  Thus they used Celery Seeds.  Magic.

I love cucumbers and tomatoes most of all with butter leaf and red leaf lettuces... the most tender flesh one can ever put in their mouth.  I posted the recipe on my FB for such a salad.  I said that I prefer my own dressing to the other dressings.  THEREFORE I AM WRITING THIS BLOG!

NOW FINALLY LAIDES AND ALL GOOD MEN THAT COOK:  HERE IS MY RECIPE FOR THE DRESSING.

YOU WILL NEED:

A BLENDER
HONEY 1 cup
RED WINE VINEGAR 1 cup
VEGETABLE OIL (3 cups. 2 to start with 1 to finish)
SALT 1 tsp
PEPPER1 tsp
DRY MUSTARD 1tsp
CELERY SEED OR POPPY SEEDS1 tsp

1... in a blender put 2 cup oil. red wine vinegar then add a cup of HONEY.  DO NOT PUT THE HONEY IN THE BLENDER FIRST!  It will not break down.  It must float in the vinegar  and honey.

2...Add one teaspoon of Salt, Pepper, Dry MUSTARD, and Celery Seeds.

3...Place the lid on blinder and PULSE it a few times, then let it RIP!  STOP AND ADD ONE CUP OF VEGETABLE OIL!!!  then remain blending.
The result should be a pinkish thick dressing.  Pour it into something you can SHAKE up as the dressing will separate after a few hours...

Dispose of the dressing after  two weeks.  It is still useable but, I think things should be made fresh and kept new as possible.

I am working on a cookbook.  If I live long enough I will accomplish about 1,000 things I still want to create in my life!

At my age I do not understand how some of my friends are so bored???  they awake, hit the golf course... la, la, la, the same ole, same ole, MIND YOU,  I am a very LAZY man and can never get all the things I want to achieve finalized!

I still have music I must learn and a bout 1000 books I must read and even though my body is aging... I want to visit so many places on my home planet earth.  I have a list of things beyond imagination.

No comments: