Thursday, December 11, 2008

Last night the rain spoke to me...

Loving my down time... weather has expressed every possible mood swing!
Tonight the sky is lovely with racing clouds, stars and the occasional satellite sailing across the firmament.

Today was my yearly visit to my dentist here in QT. He is practically the only dentist to look in side my mouth in the past 17 years! (There have been the occasional emergency chipping of a tooth that required local attention in the states.) He did the X-rays and the usual poking and prying between teeth. I had no problems. I said, "OMG, that is the best news I have had from a Doctor in 8 months!" He laughed. I am fortunate to have inherited one healthy thing, well a lot of healthy parts to my anatomy, but the teeth I am grateful for.

Last night I went sound asleep only to awaken at around 4:45 AM. The sound of rain and first light of day reaching for the mountain peaks. I thought of a wonderful poem by one of my favorite poets, Mary Oliver. She is an amazing artist. I put on my bathrobe and walked onto the front porch so as to open the door of my studio. I reached for the book, there it was: Last Night The Rain Spoke To Me... It says so many things on so many levels...

Last night
the rain
spoke to me
slowly, saying,

what joy
to come falling
out of the brisk cloud,
to be happy again

in a new way
on the earth!
That's what it said
as it dropped,

smelling of iron,
and vanished
like a dream of the ocean
into the branches

and the grass below.'Then it was over.
The sky cleared.
I was standing

under a tree.
The tree was a tree
with happy leaves,
and I was myself,

and there were stars in the sky
that were also themselves
at the moment,
at which moment

my right hand
was holding my left hand
which was holding the tree
which was filled with stars

and the soft rain---
imagine! imagine!
the long, and wondrous journeys
still to be ours.

I am on a new adventure. I am writing and making music once again! If for nothing but my own amazement and joy!

No comments: