Thursday, January 04, 2007

15 years later...

This picture of me standing at the entrance to Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall NYC was taken in November of 1995 by a dear friend. WHY? Because I walked through those door 15 years earlier to perform what would be "THE PERFORMANCE OF MY LIFE", My NYC Debut Recital. I was 43 years old at the time, April 28, 1990. 1990 was the 100th birthday of Carnegie Hall.

In my teens I studied with some excellent teachers, one being Frederic Dixon. I heard him say time and time again: "You will never really play the piano until you are in your 40's." Well, to a 14 year old the age 40 sounded ANCIENT! I thought oh, my god, I have a long long long time of blood, sweat and tears before I will really play piano? I must say that he was right (at least in my case!) Of course I could play piano very well as a boy and past my 40th birthday! Possibly playing piano has something in common with fine wines, delicate cheeses...they taste better with age!

In December of 1998 when I met with Beatrice Fetal, the booking agent for NY RECITAL AGENCY the only available date was April 28,1990. I grabbed the date with glee. The number 28 is often a part of meaningful events in my life. I fly out of New Zealand every year on April 28!!!!!!!!!! I did not choose that departure date for the past 17 years, it chose me!
My zip code in the states is: 83128. Notice the ending two digits, 28. In numerology I am a 10. 28/10! I will stop, but oh my, oh my, I could write a small book about the numbers 2 8 1 0. I must go figure!

No comments: