Thursday, January 02, 2014

An event that reminded me of my past...

There is a house below our place called the "Marianna".  It is a very old Kiwi style house.  Built probably in the late 60's.  It is owned by a family in Invercargill.  Over the years many people have used the house for summer holidays, skiing and get aways.  I remember when one couple always arrived for Xmas and they had two little girls.  Those girls have since become full grown powerful young women.  They use the house as a "PARTY HOUSE".

The past two years the girls have stayed in the house with lots of friends and enjoyed the property to the max during the Christmas Holidays.  This year I counted 14 young people.  They were between the ages of 19 - 24.  They also must have great access to lots of money or their parents credit cards.

They arrived in three cars.  Trunks loaded with suit cases, coolers full of food and buckets of booze and beer.  They moved in and began the party scene.  They were great.  Kept the music at a level that did not offend even though the verbal crap from their mouths was a bit harsh.  Who cares, they are young and full of hormones, not too many brains and most of wanted to get wasted.

The first night they drank from from 4:00 PM until 11:00 PM then called cabs.  Headed to the pubs down town.  Around 3:00 AM the taxis delivered them back to the house.  OMG... the conversations were most interesting.  I had crawled into my bed 'round 11 PM when they left the house.  I awoke when they came home only for a wee bit and then drifted back into slumber land.
I awoke at 6 AM.  Walked up stairs, hit the start button on the coffee maker.
First thing in the mornings I look out the big windows and take in the scenery of mountain, water and sky as the sun rises.
I noticed a body curled up on the side walk outside the Marianna house.  A young man apparently passed out and a couple of "to-go" plastic cups beside his head.  It was raining and rather cold.  My first thought was: OMG he is dead.  Well he was dead drunk.  I thought to myself  I could possibly make him a big mug of strong coffee and walk it down to him.  Then my power of reasoning kicked in and I thought NOT.

Minutes later he roused from the sidewalk and as he stood he staggered sideways, in circles and fell on the cement.  He then bumbled his way to the door of the house.  Knocking and pounding.  NO ONE WAS WAKE and I honestly think they had had a guts full of him.  He curled up on the bench on the outside porch.  He later awoke and begin calling on his cell phone.  Someone answered because he took off on a run down the street...

I was haunted by an event that occurred in my early 20's when I was living in Ogden Utah.  It was the holidays and I decided to walk from my house to the PLAYERS LOUNGE on Washington Blvd.
I drank a fifth of vodka and became extremely DRUNK.  I began walking back to my place in a white out blizzard... snow and so cold.  My feet were frozen.  I made it to my door only to discover I had lost the key!  SHIT!  I AM LOCKED OUT!!!
I staggered up the steps to my land lady's front door.  I knocked.  NO ANSWER!  She was sound asleep in her bedroom at the back of the house.  Snow was at least a foot deep.  I finally laid on the porch and slept in snow!  Finally about 7 AM I heard her in the house.  I knocked and she opened the door in her bath robe and a look of shock and awe on her face.  "What in hell are you doing Brent?"
I told her my story.  She told me to get my butt inside and she took my wet clothes replaced them with warm pajamas and then told me to lay on the sofa but NOT TO FALL ASLEEP.  She started bustling around singing.  She always sang old songs from the 30's...

Mabel had lived in San Fransisco when she was 15 until her mid 20's.  She could play any damn thing on a piano and could not read a note of music.  She knew all about DRINK.  She had some God Awful cures for hang overs and I KNEW IT.  "Now all you need honey is a big class of tomato juice, lots of Tabasco and a raw egg."  Oh, God, I shivered... "NO, Please, I will puke my guts out."  "That is the idea love."  "Can I have anything besides the acidic tomato juice?"  "Yes, black coffee and three Bufferine."  Bufferine was an aspirin with something that kept your stomach from bleeding... I drank the coffee, took the pills and snuggled into a pile of blankets and pillows.  Just as I was dozing off she came back with a little brown bottle and a spoon.  "Open up silly boy... swallow this and you'll be good as gold."  I thought to myself... what in hell can it be?  It tasted like liquorice... something I had tasted when I was sick as a child.  It was good old PAREGORIC!

Hours later I awoke wide awake feeling great!  "Thank you Mabel... what would I have done without you?  I promise I will never, ever do this again."  (I am famous for making deals with GOD!  like, God, if you get me through this one I promise I will be a good boy and never be bad again...)
I had a gig to play at the Elks Lodge that night.  GOOD MONEY.

I showered, shaved dressed and actually, yes, I walked to the Elks Lodge in the snow and played my 4 hours.  I also started drinking the damn Vodka...  ANGELS and possibly GOD guided me home via the help of friends.  I had a great time and once more forgot my deals with GOD.

I could not judge the young man on the sidewalk to harshly... I had been in his place at times!  ONE THING I DID HAVE:  I WAS LOVED AND PROTECTED.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am blessed to have had limited exposure to drink when I was in college. I guess the one thing that kept me out of drugs and drink was money. I didn't have any. But I see people all the time at the clinic who still haven't changed since they were teens, sad toll it takes. And yet they are fortunate to have me in the clinic to care for them. Our lessons intertwine so frequently.