Sunday, December 12, 2010

Jean-Robert Ipousteguy

In November I visited my sister who lives in New Orleans. I have always loved New Orleans because of the food and music. It has one of the only air ports I know of that is named after a great musician... LOUIS ARMSTRONG!

Many many years ago I worked in Tibidoux LA. In the heart of the sugar cane district. I was living in Dallas TX at the time playing piano where ever the agency found me a job! Sheraton Hotels had built a kind of Motel/INN in the sugar cane district for sales persons that were forever in and out of the area. There was a small collage near by, "Nicholas State College"??? (I believe that was the name of the school).
Some nights students from the theater dept. would frequent the piano bar and sing show tunes as well as all kinds of old jazz and blues.
I was going through a very difficult period of my life in the late 60's and early 70's and I self medicated on a sweet liquor called JACK DANIALS. I did drive into New Orleans on Sunday and Mondays... days I had off. Even went to Baton Rouge ounce. BUT, the music in NOLA always lived inside my head.

Well years later I return to NOLA. My sister is a fantastic artist and therefore she KNOWS the places where the music is HOT and the ART is above average and the wine... the food... you name it.
She is your angel guide to the city as well as being a great cook herself she can explain things like
MAC STUFF (computers etc), ART, CATS, BOOKS, POETRY and COMFORT THINGS like no one else on earth.
She is one of those people that has a gift of invisible intuition.

She took me to a place I will dream of forever and hope to return often as well as she allowed me to discover an artist I had no knowledge about until the afternoon we spent in the SCULPTURE GARDENS in New Orleans. Please go to this site: http://www.sculpture.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/519 or if the address fails google the Sculpture Gardens in New Orleans.

We walked and I drooled and I sighed and sang praises to some amazing pieces of art, then we came upon something that went straight to my gut and heart... GRAND VAL DE GRACE 1977... by Jean-Robert Ipoustoguy. French!? Well, New Orleans is my little part of France in America!

This sculpture signifies Birth, LIFE, and DEATH... the natural light of the day played a touching melody of light and shadow on every curve and angle. Peaks, valleys as well as flat surfaces screamed out of pain, joy and most of all surrendering to the eternal truth: DEATH EQUALIZES US ALL.

I walked slowly around this piece... I kept thinking about it during the night... I looked Ipousteguy up on a google search when I was in NYC. Everyone has a "moment" as it were, where everything comes together in one word, a sound, a scene, a color...

I thank my lucky stars for me sister sharing the garden with me as well introducing me to something I NEEDED. She also traveled to Rome Italy years ago. I was with her! She was like having your own travel guide and most of all ARTIST EXPERTISE as a guide. She explained so many paintings and great elements of the world of art and artists me. (of course the trip to Italy will always hold a special place in my heart... I went to Christiphories Museum... He invented the PIANO)

It's Wine Time so I must stop writing and wine about everything I possibly can.

No comments: