Wednesday, December 08, 2010

In New Zealand at last!

The trip from Wyoming to South Island New Zealand has been some what of an "AWAKENING" or better yet lessons in aging and sage-ing... by aging with sage-ing I mean discovering hidden gems of wisdom within the process of aging.

Because I do not have the same "bench-marks" as other people meaning: you have a marriage, you have children, they begin grade school, there are activities and marks along the way and eventually graduations and they marry etc... however, in my case there are moments when I honestly FORGET how old I AM! My body reminds me, but I toss it off by taking a pain pill or a glass of wine!

We drove out of Wyoming in a blizzard. Stopped by the home of two of our oldest and best friends to say goodbye. Then flat out to Utah. Made it to my parents around midnight. No problems... but with my parents in their mid 80's and one in her mid 90's the picture takes on a different light as well as we drove our two cats to Utah. The back of the truck was FULL. Suit cases, boxes of things... the back seat of the truck had my other mother strapped in, two cats and tons of blankets and water on board. God all mighty we made the "Beverly Hillbillies" look like normal people.

All went well thanks to the magic of coffee and four wheel drive. Spent 6 days in Utah. I could never ever liver in that state again.
Way too many people... there is nothing of my past that exists. My Grandmother's house, the houses I grew up in are GONE.
The corner where I used to catch a school bus all through grade school and Jr. High is a major 4 lane intersection with a Super Wall Mart, Wall-greens, every kind of eatery and even a 24 hour gym! WTH!!! It was full of cattle, corn and tomatoes when I was a kid.

My father lives in a different time frame... everything relates to the PAST... NO future or reality in the now... my dear mother works her butt off caring, cooking, cleaning... but her own health is very fragile. Dementia is a cruel disease. I hope to GOD I never have it... I doubt I will because I think I did have it when I was younger. Therefore been there. Denial was a great way to live in my 20's and 30's..........

Between Doctor appointments, shopping, hair DO's etc. it was quite a week. Thanksgiving was a success. Then the bomb hit!
I had booked our flights to LAX on December 29th instead of November 29th! I called Southwest... they changed it to the tune of 50 dollars per person except Anne... We made the flight. From LAX to Auckland NZ is about 12 hours. LONG. I had asked my physician if I could obtain 4 tablets of AMBIAM TO HELP ME SLEEP ON THE FLIGHT. I took one with a glass of wine when they served the dinner... could not sleep... by damn I opened my back pack with all the meds and read on the bottle... "TAKE WITHOUT FOOD" SHIT! what a waste of money and sleep. So, I put on my Bose head set and drifted in and out of a fitful sleep.

We landed smoothly and in one piece in Auckland. Took the shuttle to DOMESTIC FLIGHTS and boarded for QT. Love this country. Things are different than in America... they are relaxed... they are kinder and they seem to honestly care.

As if planned our cab driver from the Air Port knew us and we had a great welcome home riding with him in his cab. The house is perfect. The roses are in bloom, my garden is full of ripe strawberries and I am loving my piano and NOOK. YEP! I love books but I had downloaded a ton of books before leaving the states. Whoopee.... I am so into computers...

I awoke this morning after 10 hours of sleep and ate a late breakfast on the patio in the sunshine. Have not joined the gym yet. WHY? BODY PAIN. I have worked out for over 40 years. When I turned 60 I still maintained a 15... and more inch arm... well, I over did many things because of ego, vanity and fear of growing old, only to surrender to the reality of TIME... Cancer, hernias,
bladder, my left arm's triceps muscles have been destroyed... they are re-growing... sight, and heart seem pretty good, but I have had to make friends with Arthur, Right-is and a few other energies I never dreamed I would embrace.

Walking and making music save me and my soul. A kind word and wide smile can make my day. When I am down in the village shopping... buying food items, wine, the bakery and the daily papers... young people remember me! They say: Welcome back. I remember you from last year! I remember them too.

Will write in a few days... in the mean time life is gentle and so good.

No comments: