Tuesday, February 28, 2017

The love of asparagus

Every since I can remember I loved asparagus!  In the early spring my mother would take a Perry Knife and we walked along canal and ditch banks searching for the precious stems.  She would gently cut them and then boil them in a very little bit in water.

Asparagus is a beautiful vegetable because it has nutrients far beyond many veggies.  Do not worry about the fear YOU MUST PURCHASE Organic Raised Asparagus.   You will live and not drop dead on the gorgeous asparagus you purchase in your super market.

Asparagus are loaded with Vitamin A, C, E and K.  It is an excellent source of balancing Diabetics blood sugar!  It actually contains many other nutritional elements.

I learned years ago that a good chef does not CUT the stems off of asparagus.  The stems must be touched and "snapped" meaning each stem was worthy of a breaking point! Also do not buy asparagus that has mold or moss on it!

I know people that will not touch asparagus.  They actually hate it!  The French eat it and they seem to be extremely healthy as well as Italians.  Italians live long lives.  When I was in Iceland 1969 we ate asparagus.  They raise it in hydroponic farms.  

In my honest opinion today most things should and can be grown in hydroponic gardens!

The environment is full of all kinds of shit I breathe and seem to indulge beyond the limit of consciousness.

I destroy the atmosphere more than anyone... I fly in air planes to places so far away and they fill the air with????  think about it.
I also drive many times a year polluting the air.  I use
all kinds of chemicals on my plants and myself!

Asparagus is a wonderful vegetable and I top it with a Hollandaise sauce or simply butter.  Lots of ground sea salt and ground pepper.  I save the stems that break away from the ripe portion and make cream of asparagus soup or use it in a egg pie with bacon and spinach.

I am so happy to live on a planet that allows me to indulge in asparagus all through the year!  Avocados are another thing I love and I know a hell of a lot about.

I eat a half of an avocado every morning.  Pour lemon juice into the cavity then drop brown sugar into the cavity.  You will not believe what your tasting.  I like avocados with salsa and sometimes I fill them with tuna or shrimp salad.

In England and NZ they make an asparagus roll up.  Take a piece of sandwich bread which is thinly sliced then place a bit of Mayo, salt and pepper.  Lay the asparagus on the bread and then roll it up and you will have a delicious snack.

Enjoy all vegetables.  Paleo diet is quite amazing.  It uses veggies and proteins.

  

No comments: