Thursday, March 26, 2015

Vincent Van Gogh...

The name Vincent haunts me at times.  If I had children I would have named one of them Vincent.  I would NOT EVER HAVE ALLOWED THE NICK NAME VINNEY to be stamped on the child's head, body...  no, use his or her full name only:  VINCENT.

Edna St. Vincent Millay is one of my favorite poets.  Strange name for a girl.  Her mother was a nurse and I have been told that she named her first born after the name of the hospital in NYC, ST VINCENT'S HOSPITAL?  (BTW, St. Vincent Hospital no longer exists!)  It has been a land mark for many episodes in the history of NYC.  I knew it well because of the AIDS epidemic.

Will save the hospital stories for another day.

Two days ago I had lunch at my favorite restaurant in QT. Because, Salero Vino closed last year.  Still my heart aches for the place.  Such an intimate feeling of FRANCE and the food and wine to die for.

Now days I eat at the Botswana Butchery.  Sounds weird but, the chairs are comfortable beyond imagination, the food is good and the ambience suits my every mood.  A chef from South Africa created it.  He since has sold it for no doubt a fortune.

I love their Steak Diane.  Some days I crave the fish dish, FILET of SOLE on warm potato salad.   It is a gorgeous place over looking the lake and mighty alps!

After a delightful lunch I walked to a new a unique book store in town.  What jumps of the shelf:  this enormously thick and heavy book titled VINCENT VAN GOGH.  Written by James Flick and Michael Wright.  I know of these two men because of their donations to maintain opera, historic landmarks and most of all great art.

Had to have it!  I CANNOT LEAVE THE DAMN BOOK ALONE!  I know a lot about Van Gogh as well as other artists of impressionist to abstract art.  I "relate" to so many issues in his childhood!  OMG, the book is about 999 pages.  Well, I read S-L-O-W-L-Y.  I am not of the ancient fast reading school.  I savor the way a sentence vibrates, it's relation to the past sentence and the future sentence.  There is a beautiful inner connection between paragraphs and sentences that reminds me of great music.

There was a time years ago a friend in NYC told me if I wanted to make some extra cash I could be a "proof reader"...  I was a stupid, innocent man in the late 60's and had not a clue what he was talking about!  I thought I would have to PROVE every word or some stupid concept like PROVING the book was real.  (remember, I grew up a Mormon...)

Well, today I walked into the same new bookstore.  I told the young man with a knot of wild hair secured on his head, tattoos and a under fed body:  "Here is my back pack, inside is my wallet.  Keep it behind the counter and do not allow be to purchase anything until I finish the Van Gogh."  He let out a hysterical laugh!  We are friends.

Took some photos of the back yard.  It is autumn time.  8:00 PM is usually still sunlight.  Not anymore.  Night is setting in and I have dinner in the oven.

I thank my lucky stars that at my age I can spend hours indulging in far too many luscious things from books to music and food.  I do not eat like I used to.  Small amounts go a hell of a long way with me and my body's ability to digest and make it part of my well being.

Will finish Gone With The Wind and the brick of a book Van Gogh then write something amazing.
 

No comments: