Monday, February 23, 2015

My time in Dunedin...

I am 1/4 Scottish.  The city of Dunedin is SCOTTISH more than any place except Scotland.  This city as well as NZ has more Bag Pipe Bands than any place on earth!  YEP!  I am NOT a lover of the sound of bag pipes.  They do have a haunting sound.  Almost a droning wailing cry to my ears.

At my father's grave side service we had a "Scottish Bag Pipe Player" play Amazing Grace and then he turned away from the grave site and began playing Auld Lang Sien.... as he walked away.  The effect was amazing!  My father's name was Elwood (very British)  his mother was a Manning, one cannot get more British than that!  His middle name Stuart (very Scottish after the Stuart Clan)  Johnston is a Scottish name...  his grandfather and grandmother were born in Scotland.

In NZ one of the biggest bus lines is:  JOHNSTON.  I was in CHCH years ago and saw a bill board advertising an up and coming show starring DAVID A. JOHNSTON!  That was my grandfather's name!

This past weekend we made a road trip to Dunedin to visit our Land Lady and take in some good restaurants, movies, shopping plus the RUGBY and the BAG PIPER'S COMPETITION was going on.  I love this city.  Old paint on doors that open into all kinds of places, ancient wavy glass in windows, hard wood floors, the University.  I spent nearly two hours in the City Art Gallery.  Then walked to the ARTIST'S Gallery where Jon Thom works and creates unbelievable art!  Well, it was closed!   He created the portrait of me that hangs in my restaurant!  (since those days he has evolved into one NZ's finest artist's.

The old used and rare book store in the Octagon that I LOVED IS GONE!  I did find where another sacred place is thriving.  I was looking for a book about a great restauranteur I met years ago in NZ.
FLEUR SULLIVAN.  (if someone has time to burn do a google search on her as well as Jon Thom.)

Could not find the book.  Next day I was walking in a Bird Refuge full of Tui and Bell Birds...  in the gift shop THERE WAS THE BOOK!

Our Land Lady is a great woman!  She owns a very special piano.  It is Vintage Piano and has Ivory keys.  Some of the keys look like teeth that have been chipped. I love this piano.  I think of Beethoven, Debussy, Schubert, Brahms... they played pianos exactly like this!  I developed a mad love affair with this piano.  I play it every time we visit Karen however, this time!  the piano reached out to me.  It shared it's secret "VOICE" with my inner voice...  It wept when I played the Chopin Preludes!  It laughed when I played Rags, it sighed and dreamed when I played Clair de lune.  It sang Bach's Preludes with intensity and love...  the years this piano has been starving for touch and harmony.  I took photos of it!  I swear the piano POSED for me!  It was so pleased to be loved and used it's voice once again!

If MUSIC IS THE FOOD OF LOVE... well... I do love food.  Ate at some of my favorite places and then Karen took us to a new place!  I love Sirloin Steak.  It lost favor in many American restaurants a few years ago.  It has a great flavor and dense texture.  I alway grill it with the side of fat on the meat.
This Sirloin was DIVINE!!!  If I could have found the chef that cooked the meal I would have kissed him or her!

In another life I know I lived in Dunedin or I will in the next life.  I will have my Gypsy Moon place full of art, music, exotic teas, used books, herbs, a little bit of that and a little bit of that!  The city is a replica of San Fransisco when I a little boy.  Houses on steep hills, a bay going out into the mighty ocean, cool temperatures all year... humidity.  (when I play "I Left My Heart In San Fransisco"  I live every lyric to the song as well as the melody.

The most beautiful thing about Dunedin is:  when I wander through the streets I sense the energy pulsating of so many people I love that have long crossed into the eternal energy of the universe.
I am now a old man that will soon join all those spirits and radiate joy and excitement to so many I leave behind!

No comments: