Monday, March 28, 2011

Why The Maiden & the Nightingale

The first time this melody entered my ears it simply sky dived into my musical heart and I knew that I had to own it.

I was 14 years old. I stumbled through the manuscript but did not have the knowledge of how to create a fingering and voicing pattern that could give life to the complex text.

Years later I decided to LEARN the piece in such a way I could perform it. Virginia Willard in Idaho Falls put my hands and brain into the correct direction. Later, Seymour Bernstien in NYC would open my heart to it's many hidden mysteries. I perform this piece differently every time I play it!

The entire piece evolves out of the first sound of F Sharp. One must touch the black key F# on the piano as if it were a delicate piece of precious crystal... from that vibration evolves every emotion within the haunting melodies of the piece.

I have always imagined a lover sitting in a window sill, pining, yearning, longing with heart break pain for the return of the secret lover... then the nightingale begins to answer the Maiden's pleas... the blessed bird's melody constantly answers the Maiden's voice. It is a composition full of intense emotion, questions and answers as well as that indefinable red blooded passion the Latin race have seared into their DNA...

Every emotion is recorded within this masterpiece. The last page of the music is a BIRD SONG... I believe the lover was singing to his Maiden through the Nightingale...

I owe boundless thanks to the engineer that creates such gorgeous images, ART that moves to my music!

No comments: