Friday, October 29, 2010

Enfolded within the mountains...

Since shutting the doors of the restaurant I have been one hell of a busy man.

My father fell and broke his hip in September. He is recovering but it seems to be a very up and down drama of events.

Aging is not as wonderful as some would have us believe. I've made two trips to Utah since closing. I find it amazing how people live in that state! Sooooo many people, Soooooo many energies all over the place. I spent the past week helping my parents in the town I lived as a baby and into my late teens. I moved away from Utah so many times when I was in my 20s only to return? I was bouncing up and down in the seat of my pick up as I drove into the snowy mountains of the Wasatch Range. God, I stopped in Evanston Wy for coffee and kissed the ground!

Drove to Sage Jct. then into Cokeville. South-end pass could take one's breath away! I love where I live. At times I was the only person on the road. I sang along with my I Pod tunes and when the mood overtook my mind I would drive off the road into the sage brush and inhale the perfume of sagebrush, snowy clean air and freedom. I poured a cup of strong black coffee, climbed into the back of the truck and gazed at the robin egg blue sky... fluffy white clouds and the occasional deer, rabbit, and the slow hypnotic spiraling flight of hawks as they circled high above my head. I gazed out over the horizon knowing that I still had miles to go, but over the mountains I would nestle in the arms of mountains I love and call home.

My piano sounds like a symphony. I played for hours yesterday. I will fly to New Orleans on November 7, then into NYC on the 10th. Return to Wyoming on the 14th, finish closing the house and business, then back to Utah and on to New Zealand.

The Southern Alps of New Zealand are pure magic. My strength comes from mountains. They haunt me. I can't imagine life without hills and valleys. Snow capped peaks that reflect the sunrise and sunset in all it's celestial glory. Possibly why I feel so close to mountains is: My life has been full of high and low points... peaks and valleys. Never ever a flat surface. Thank God and the Universe.

No comments: