Sunday, April 26, 2009

Last night the rain spoke to me...

I have used the title of this blog before... Last night the rain did speak to me!

Rain is a very sacred sound created by playing upon the instrument called earth. Every raindrop is like a note of music.
Last night the rain was sporadic. Heavy with sound, then suddenly it would stop leaving bars of long rests and resonating echos of it's drumming symphony. Then ever so gently it would begin tapping and sighing against the glass, the roof, dancing on the cement and rocks or quietly cascading into the grass and gardens.

I was busy helping close the house, packing bags, cleaning... all the last 25 items that MUST be done before leaving the country.
Most important: pass ports, credit cards, flight numbers, cell phones. (I have two phones. A Vodafone when I am out of the USA and a Verizon when I am in the States.) Chargers for I Pod, remember all the cables to computers, phones and KEYS.
Keys are very
important as they open the doors in New Zealand and they open the doors in WY.

Now that I am in my early 60's I have this array of drugs and supplements to pack into my kit of toilet items, the hassle of putting the one oz. bottles of gels and liquids in the plastic bag for inspection.

Closing a house is a big
job. Everything from shutting off power and water to making sure there are no food items, trash, or windows and doors left ajar!

Early in the evening I enjoyed a delicious dinner at the Boardwalk. One of my favorite restaurants. The food is perfect, but the chairs! Ah, I could sit in the chairs all night! Finally around midnight I fell into a fitful sleep. Up at 6 AM flying around the house in order to finish the final tasks. Taxi was on time for the ride to the air port. We arrived at Qantas, checked in the luggage and it was NOT over the limit.

I was feeling strung out... very tired. Then the intercom announced that the flight to Auckland had been cancelled due to heavy cloud cover and rain! I grabbed my Vodafone. Called the 0800 number, re-scheduling for tomorrow. Finally retrieved the luggage, made the new flight arrangements and back to the house! THANK
GOD FOR THIS HOUSE AND YES, I HAD THE KEYS TO THE DOOR! Broad band was still in service, the telephones were still on.
I threatened my two companions with their lives: "DO NOT SO MUCH AS FART because I have made myself sick getting this place in tip top shape!"
It was surreal to be driving up to a house which only a few hours ago you had "CLOSED".

We usually depart from NZ on April 28th, this year we were leaving on the 27th because of flight situations. Well, the pattern has not been broken! Sunshine is forecast for tomorrow the 28th of April. (Mind you, when I am in NZ I am in the future. Even though I fly out of NZ on the 28th of April I am going back in time and will arrive in LAX on the 28th of April. When ever I call the USA I have to realize the fact: I am a day and 4 to 6 hours ahead of where I calling!

The rain was singing all kinds of ancient earthen chants last night. Some where listened to very deep within my heart as I sensed we would not board the flight from Queenstown to Auckland.
My dreams were everywhere. From 2 AM until 4 AM I was awake... I laid listening to the rain and finally I lifted myself out of bed, walked outside and inhaled the scent of rain. I once read about a child that claimed rain was the odor of heaven. She may have been spot on.

In the early 70's I used to drive my VW Bug from Ogden Ut. to Denver Colorado to stay with a friend for up to a week. Driving across the WY desert can be a celestial experience or long hours of fighting off sleep. Often I would see rain clouds charging across the sky and drive directly into a cloud burst of glorious percussion from the mallets of rain drops. I'd stop the car, jump out and run through the sage brush and wild flowers.
Most clouds were so intimidating and yet so full of blessings I sensed no fear, only dampness and clean air and water!

There were times I simply drove into the desert and stripped naked... (I could do it without a thought when I was in my 20's)
and lay on the ground as the rain baptized my flesh, blood and spirit. I do believe in four sacred things: Water, Air, Fire and Earth. They all are my 4 in 1, they express peace and harmony to my life.

I will not be blogging for a few weeks. Enjoy the winter rains in the Pacific Islands, or the Spring rains in the USA and Canada.
(Scandinavia, Europe, Russia, China the list goes on and on...)

Spring is a reminder of our own birth... Remember: it is not 3 in 1, it is 4 in 1.

No comments: