Friday, February 20, 2009

Birthdays... Deathdays...

February has always been a special month.

It signifies LOVE and we celebrate LOVE on February 14th because of a certain Saint having the name of Valentine! I think we should celebrate in some 'secret way' Christmas and Valentines everyday of our very very very short lifetimes, but, of course we don't!

I have no regard for politicians, therefore, I do not recognize George Washington's or Abe Lincoln's Birth dates, they just happen to have Birthdays that occurred during the month of February! I do think of one of my Grandmother's who's Birthday is in February.

DEATHS:

Every year I light a candle and play a piece on the piano for Percy Grainger. He died on February 20th 1961. When he died I was 15 years old. I loved his solo arrangements for piano of the great concerto themes and his folk tunes!

He was a handsome man, very much into WALKING, HIKING and HE ARDENTLY defended Crowell during that horrible episode of bigotry during the 50's against gays. Gay people were looked upon as the lowest of mankind! I am a most privileged pianist in the fact, that I was given an entire afternoon alone in his museum.
NO ONE ELSE was in the museum in Melbourne OZ. Yep, Percy was born in the land of OZ! He was a role model for me. I have a wee photo of him at the piano framed in pewter that I carry with me when I travel.

BIRTHDAYS:

Another great person was born on February 22, 1892. Edna St. Vincent Millay. This woman was and still is a role model for me. She was an amazing woman and her talent still rings with truth and magic! She died when she was 57. Her mother gave birth to her in the state of Maine 117 years ago!

Another shinning light and guide in my life as well as so many musicians seeking to FIND THEIR PLACE in the world of making music at the piano is a woman in NY. Carol Montparker.
She celebrated her 70th birthday Thursday February 19, 2009, and what a celebration! She performed a recital in the Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall, NYC. May she have many many more years of sharing and giving the gift of music.

Since I was 5 years old I was fortunate to find "my voice" the piano. I simply have always wanted to know HOW TO USE IT!
Percy, Edna, Carol, Virginia, Seymour, James, Frederic, Alex, Dorothy, Mary and my grandmothers and ever so many other TEACHERS from many other places have helped show me HOW to USE MY VOICE: The silver sound of a piano!

No comments: